Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Across the borders & through the night...

... to the south of Texas we go!

My older sister's wedding was a few weeks ago in Houston, TX... which was a fair distance from our summer training in central Illinois. We wanted to be down there early for all the festivities and to help out, but we couldn't miss out on too much of training either, so we did was all first time parents do: we packed ourselves, all of our belongs for these three summer months, and our then-ten-week-old daughter in the car, and drove through the night!


The last of the "Searle Girls"
about to be married off!
Amelia had a really rough hour at the start, but we soon discovered that the breeze on her face (okay, more than a breeze, more like the crosswinds of driving down the highway at 70mph) was inexplicably calming. From there on out: easy sailing. I took the night shift, and with the help of a Starbucks Double Shot Energy drink, had the wheel from 10pm- 4am. Tim woke me up at 6am with the enthusiastically offering donuts, but he blessedly let me sleep a little while longer after that, too, and we arrived in Houston late morning all ready to roll. I don't know that we'll ever attempt it again, but I felt like everyone really arose to the occasion. Good job team, and thank you Starbucks.


We stayed with Brie, a good friend from college!
Thanks again for hosting us Brie,  it was great to visit with you!

The wedding went really well! Hilary decided to do her own flowers (a bright array of tulips) and they turned out great! She made all the bouquets and I got to help by making the boutonnieres. Being halfway across the country for most of her engagement, I didn't get to help out much, so I was glad to try my green thumb!

Beautiful bride, and good-looking groom. 
Each bridesmaid had some difficulty with her dress, but it all came together in the end. And my Mom made cute matching dresses for my niece Kennedy-the flower girl- and for the little girls, Amelia and my other niece Adelaide, who are only 72 hours apart in age.

Here Amelia shows off her the dress,
her tongue, and the bloomers.
We'll work on being lady-like in the coming months.

Amelia's Great-Grandma Searle held her for much of the reception.
Amelia's slept for all of the reception. Rockstar baby award.
 It was also the first time my siblings met Amelia, and the first time Tim, Amelia, and I met Adelaide. We hadn't been to Texas in two years, so it was lovely to visit! (Though I think the traffic we ran into has dissuaded us from desiring to live there. Sorry siblings.) We stayed an extra few days with Rachel & Justin in Tomball, where Amelia had her first swinging experience.

Still love the Ergo.
Nearly a month ago, but we're on our way to being caught up! I'd love to hear how all of you have been!

-Abigail

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yes, I'd love to hear from you!