While I'm sure that it's not quite the same as Mary pondering the mystery of Jesus before her very eyes, I am drawn to prayer and to praise God as I reflect on the life of my daughter, and there are a few moments I want to keep and treasure for longer than I'm afraid my memory will hold out. So, until I have a real babybook for Amelia I'll stick them here.
Dear Jesus, thank you for the gift of Amelia and especially..
- when she squeezes her eyes shut, trying to put herself to sleep in my arms as we rock by her crib
- how she triumphantly struts into the living room with her arms in the air and the biggest smile
- how she rushes over and lays her head on me for .8 seconds any time I lay on the ground
- how she wants to be held and almost snuggle for .8 seconds after getting up from a nap
- how she squeals when you're chasing her in a circle and you double backwards to meet her face on
- how she likes to unload all of her books from their box and turn their pages
- when she yells "MMM!" after each bite of yogurt you feed her
- how she puts on her concentrating face and begins swaying each time she hears any music
I think I enjoy her more and more each day, if that's possible, and still marvel that she's been entrusted to my husband and I for right now. I love her dearly.
I think I used to hope to receive many children from God because I loved little babies so much and always wanted to have one around. And while I hope for many children even more deeply now, it's different. Now I know, at least a little better, what a gift and joy a child is in our marriage, and I want to keep sharing this love and receiving these gifts more and more.
(Not that I'm never a grumpy Momma. Don't get me wrong. And yes, I know Amelia is a pretty good natured baby, and not every child is this easy to love and care for.)
For now, I simply know I am deeply grateful, and am trying to treasure each moment as it slips away... while trying to remember that each moment is one closer to heaven, and that the joy and love we know here are only a foreshadowing of that to come. Praise be Jesus, now and forever.



Such a neat post. thanks. Brings back memories of you guys when you were little and how wonderful it was to experience all your new adventures.
ReplyDeleteI love happy baby moments!
ReplyDeleteThis is the blog post you'll go back to on the 'bad' days and remember the joy and gift of your daughter. She's so beautiful and you are beautiful mother.
ReplyDeleteI am way late to the game, but this is the cutest list! I am impressed that Amelia still lets you feed her. Claire has insisted on doing it herself for a while now. She gets some yogurt in her mouth, but more in her hair and on the floor. Super fun...
ReplyDeleteShe's getting sooo big! and beautiful! Aww.. Abi! I wish you could come and visit us soon! Te quiero mucho Amiga!
ReplyDelete