I thought today was going to be a big day: my 'mom' haircut (albeit, six months early) and buying a car seat and stroller travel system. It was a great day, but I was wrong on both accounts.
First, the 'mom' haircut. Not that women without children always have have long hair and moms always have short hair, but I was just getting frustrated with my long beaten-up hair and thought it was time to go short. I knew it'd be necessary with teeny tiny hands pulling at it, come April, but was just going to rush the chop for sake of impatience. My own mother cut my hair for most of my life, and while I've probably since been to a salon a half-dozen times, I'm always intimidated by getting a 'professional haircut.' Where do you go? Whom do you trust? Do you bring a picture? Ah.
Well, I did really like that all my trims used to be free, so when my teammate Ruth found and forwarded me an awesome Groupon, which resulted in my paying $2 plus tip, my decision was suddenly easier. Thanks Ruth. I thought I was going to get a dramatic can't-fit-it-all-in-a-ponytail cut with fun layers that would take only 12 seconds to blow-dry-and-magically-style-using-a-round-brush, but the hairdresser could probably smell my lack of boldness and started the cut waaaaaaay longer. I finally talked her up to mid-shoulder, and remembered that my chin-length bob in high school did make me look 12 years old, and that people already think I'm 18 and too young to be married, and that soon people will probably think I'm a pregnant freshman walking around campus, I decided to leave it a little longer. :-)
In the end, it is cut, and kinda fun, and I don't think I look 5 years younger. Just only still 18. If you think so, please don't tell me. Ta-da:
Next, I thought I'd fly from my mom haircut appointment to inspect, approve, and purchase a great-looking and well-reviewed Chicco travel system from Craigslist (from a nice nurse who works at a Catholic hospital). I was getting more and more excited with each feature she showed me and as I saw it was intact…. but then, I flipped it over and saw the expiration date. For real. Did you know car seats have expiration dates? Yeah! There a bit more generous than milk expiration dates, but still. They have a DO NOT USE AFTER: date. And this one said 12 SEP 12. Fail. That's in just over 10 months. Since this baby doesn't need a car seat for approximately 6 months, and hopefully won't max out the 22lb limit in four months, I realized I couldn't buy it. Ah, well. I'm usually a buy-it-and-regret-it-and-return-it shopper (ask anyone in my family) but since Craigslist isn't like that, I patted myself on the back for saying 'sorry but no thanks.'
I don't have a haircut or car perfect for a baby yet, but maybe since I've started trying this early, I'll actually be ready when it is time. :-)
until next try,
abigail

Love the hair, love the blog, and love you! So wonderful to get some beautiful Abigail updates! :) Praying for you three!
ReplyDelete